PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, October 21, 2011

Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent

So, I make my own laundry detergent.  Every doctor suggested we "change laundry detergent" to help Bee.  I got so sick of that.  Therefore, I started making my own.  That way I know exactly what is in it.  Plus, it's ridiculously cheaper when compared to the "special" organic detergent we were buying.  This is my favorite recipe so far...........

Laundry Detergent
1/2 bar Ivory Soap finely grated-I use my cheese grater because it's not like I'm going to be grating cheese anytime soon (You could also use 1/3 bar Fels Naptha.  If I ever find that elusive brand I'm going to try it.)
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda - NOT the baking soda  Buy the yellow box, not the orange!

Put the grated soap in with 6 cups of water and melt on low heat.  Do not let this boil!  Why?  Because it will be clumpy and lumpy.  Watch and stir, watch and stir.
Pour 4 cups of hot water in a large bucket (I use a 5 gallon bucket) and then add the soap mixture.  Stir!
Then add 1 gallon of water plus 6 more cups of hot water and stir some more.
Let sit overnight.  Then stir again and pour into containers.  Or you could blend it or mix it.  Whatever works for you.  Have a big funnel ready.
I was impatient and poured mine right into my containers, let it sit overnight, and then shook the containers the next day to mix up the soap.
Now I have perfectly smooth liquid soap and a Baby Bee with some clean clothes.

Actually, I have a huge pile of dirty clothes that I must now go wash.  With as much money as I save on organic detergent, you'd think Prince Charming would hire me a maid.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are sweet as honey! Thanks for visiting the hive!

 
Content © Hives in the Kitchen | Design © 2012 Laura Jane
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited