PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, July 15, 2012

{Allergy Free} Chocolate Donuts

At our house, weekends equal donuts.  The kids wake up on Saturday wondering what we're going to eat for breakfast.  They won't accept anything fast or simple like cereal or oatmeal.  No, they want fresh baked breads, biscuits and gravy, cinnamon rolls, muffins, scones, or donuts.  Weekend breakfasts are supposed to be extra special.

This means that mom and dad stumble out of bed and sleepily bump around in the kitchen as we try to bake something new and exciting.  I do the baking, Prince Charming does the fetching of ingredients and then helps with clean up.

Lately, the kids request donuts every weekend.  While I love our cinnamon and spice donuts, it was time for a new donut flavor.  I went with chocolate.  They were amazing!




Chocolate Donuts
1 cup flour blend
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons Earth Balance melted
1/2 cup rice milk mixed with 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (buttermilk substitute)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons egg replacer whisked with 2 Tablespoons rice milk

Preheat the oven to 350 and spray the donut pans.

Mix the dry ingredients together well with a whisk-work out the cocoa lumps.

Whisk the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just enough to combine.  Don't over-stir the batter.

Fill the donut pans.  I used a spoon to spread the batter into each mold and then I smoothed the tops.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until donuts spring back when touched.

Let cool on wire rack and drizzle with glaze while still warm.

Makes 12 donuts.

Glaze:
1 teaspoon Earth Balance melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon rice milk

Whisk ingredients together and pour over donuts.  I put my glaze in a ziploc and piped it onto the donuts (less mess to clean later).  You can also dip the donuts in the glaze.  Since I don't have a wide shallow bowl in the apartment that would work for dipping, I did the piping.  It seemed easiest at the time.  If I had all my lovely dishes, I would probably just dip my donuts.  But does it really matter when they will be gone in a matter of minutes?  Presentation does not matter to my crew, only taste!  You'll see what I mean in the next picture because the donuts sure aren't pretty!


Tiger has already requested these for next weekend.  He actually wanted them again that same day.  Then he asked for the next day.  Then he settled on next weekend.  So, these donuts will become regulars at our house I'm sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are sweet as honey! Thanks for visiting the hive!

 
Content © Hives in the Kitchen | Design © 2012 Laura Jane
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited