PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Eczema and Itching



Bee's eczema makes her so horribly itchy, especially in this heat.  We do all we can to help minimize the itchiness-cool tub soaks, wet wraps, lots of lotion, itch relief cream, and keeping her skin covered as much as we can.  But sometimes she scratches her skin completely raw and then I feel like we're just starting over.

Bee isn't old enough to understand that itching only makes it worse.  We tell her again and again not to scratch.  Some days I get so sick of hearing myself say "Don't scratch!  Don't itch!"  Even the other kids chime in with their reminders.  I try to be so patient with all the reminders but at times I start to get frantic.  I resort to begging her to stop itching and sometimes I even cry with her.  I know it itches!  I know she's miserable!  But she has to stop scratching or the eczema will flare out of control and she'll be at risk for infections.

I find myself losing my patience with her itching.  Some days I can't change her diaper fast enough before she starts scratching.  On those days I can be so impatient with her itching.

I find myself becoming frustrated with her constant scratching.  I remind her over and over and over again to stop.  I try to keep her within arms reach so I can quickly pull her fingers away from her legs or elbows if she's starting to scratch.  I even have her positioned behind the passenger seat so if I'm driving, I can still reach her to stop the itching.

I get so frustrated at myself that I'm so frustrated with her.  I know she can't help it.  I know she isn't old enough to understand.  I can hear the panic and frustration in my voice when I'm asking her to stop.  I feel like I'm always on edge and always watching her, always worried, and always on guard.

Just because her itching causes me to be stressed and worried is not excuse to be impatient with her.  Yet, I feel like it gets so old.  She's always itchy; it doesn't go away.  Day after day we deal with the same issues and I can get so worn down.  But it's never a excuse to be so short on patience.

As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.  Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.  Make every effort to keep the uity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.  Ephesians 4:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are sweet as honey! Thanks for visiting the hive!

 
Content © Hives in the Kitchen | Design © 2012 Laura Jane
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited