PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, June 11, 2010

Cookbooks

I was so at a loss when starting our journey.  I had no inspiration for recipes and did not know where to begin.  Enter The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook.  Hurray!!!  Foods that I could cook and with very few modifications.  And the few that I tried were very good!  Beer Battered Chicken Nuggets, Chicken Marsala, Pancakes, Breaded Chicken Cutlets. Chicken Pot Pie.  My kids have eaten every one so far and so has PC--without complaining!  A great resource!

But what about baking?  To bake gluten free is hard enough, throw out dairy and that is getting complicated, but take away my eggs!  Yuck!  Gooey, sticky, runny, crumbly....you name it and I can bake it!  Thank goodness for The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook by the same author.  I've only tried a few muffin, pancake, and cookie recipes; I have yet to branch out to the breads, cakes, cupcakes, and pastries.  But the few things I have made have disappeared quickly.  The Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies lasted about 12 hours.  Every time PC tried to eat one little Bee stole it away.  It was her very first homemade cookie!  I should have taken a picture but I was too busy eating them!
Wait....I found a picture....only one cookie is missing.  Shhh!!  I had to test them first!


Another resource that I'm just beginning to work through is The Complete Book of Gluten-Free Cooking.  Now, it does have recipes with eggs and dairy but some of them I can substitute and some recipes don't call for eggs.  The Sorghum Bread does not call for eggs and it is amazing!  Baby Bee enjoyed her first piece of cinnamon toast the other morning.  She was thrilled!

This was about the same face I got when it was all gone.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are sweet as honey! Thanks for visiting the hive!

 
Content © Hives in the Kitchen | Design © 2012 Laura Jane
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited