PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, June 14, 2010

Peanuts


Should they ban peanuts on flights???  After our experiences, I think I would have to say, yes.  Unless, of course, all flight attendants are armed with Epi Pens......  What would you do in mid-air if you had an episode of anaphylaxis?

While it doesn't seem fair to ban peanuts, airplanes aren't equipped with rescue measures and doctors.  You can't just take an ambulance ride to the nearest ER.  (And before you hop on that ambulance, know that they charge you transport fees AS WELL AS mileage--at $15 a mile in our lovely little town).  So, while it would be ridiculous to ban peanuts from every establishment, when you are confined to a seat in an airplane next to someone who is ripping open their third bag..........well, that's a problem.  And allergy parents can agree, this issue should be addressed.  I can avoid the ballpark and even those peanut-shells-on-the-floor restaurants.  But if we have to fly somewhere, what would our options be?  This is one option, and not one that I would accept, and I'm not the only one who thinks this is unfair.



I think I'd rather just drive............with an ice chest full of coconut yogurt and allergy free chocolate cookies and many, many books on tape for the kids.............and maybe earplugs for me.  But if you're braver than I, then check out this site for some travel tips.

3 comments:

Diana said...

The last time I flew in recent years, the flight attendant announced they would be serving only pretzels for snacks rather than the choice for snack being between preztels and peanuts. She announced someone on the flight was allergic to peanuts and peanut dust. So, anyone who wished for the snack could eat what was offered. I thought that worked well and was very considerate of Southwest Airlines.

Diana said...

But, I'd rather drive with my own snacks, too!

Diana said...

Anyone read about probiotics and enzymes and the importance of taking them (especially for those who have food allergies/intolerances)?

Post a Comment

Your comments are sweet as honey! Thanks for visiting the hive!

 
Content © Hives in the Kitchen | Design © 2012 Laura Jane
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited