PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Incredible Edible Egg

I no longer have any of these little guys in my fridge.  The egg may be incredible, but at our house, it is definitely NOT edible! 

I don't really miss scrambled eggs, or poached eggs, or omelets, or sunny-side up eggs, or eggs at all--except in my baking!!  Have you ever baked without eggs?  No fun!

You have got to find a substitution, and only certain substitutions are appropriate for certain situations.  Confused yet? 

Keep an egg replacement list handy, but also know what job the egg was doing in that recipe-was it for binding or leavening or adding moisture.  And if you have a recipe that calls for a dozen eggs...well...hide that one for now because I don't know of any replacer that can replace THAT many eggs. 

For meatloaf and meatballs and other recipes that need some "binding" I have been successful with ground flaxseed mixed with water.  (1 T flaxseed to 3 T warm water--replaces one egg).

I have done some baking with applesauce and it sure does help add some moisture to what can be dry and crumbly gluten-free baked goods.  Can't try the banana trick, but let me know if that one works.  You can also add fruit juice or other pureed fruits to baked goods for some added moisture.  It can only help gluten-free goods!

My baking buddy is Ener-G Egg Replacer.  Hello breads and cookies!  This is a great replacer when you need some leavening help.

Other popular egg replacement tricks involve tofu (soy!) and powdered milk or other dairy ingredients. 

So far, so good on the egg free fridge over here.  However, I think I miss French toast...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are sweet as honey! Thanks for visiting the hive!

 
Content © Hives in the Kitchen | Design © 2012 Laura Jane
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited